The Internet can be a valuable research tool when searching for a care center or researching care options. Whether you are helping a loved one or educating yourself about long-term and short-term clinical care, rehabilitation therapy or aging issues, the Web can be quite helpful. As with any research, always verify the information you find and include physicians, relatives and experts you trust in your decision-making process.
Begin your research with any of the following:
- The American Health Care Association is a non-profit federation of affiliate state health organizations, representing more than 11,000 non-profit and for-profit care providers responsible for approximately one million elderly and disabled individuals each day.
- The Assisted Living Federation of America is the largest national association dedicated to professionally managed, resident-centered senior living communities and the seniors and families these communities serve.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is the federal agency that runs the Medicare program. In addition, CMS works with states to run the Medicaid program. CMS works to make sure that the beneficiaries in its programs are able to get high-quality health care.
- McKnight’s Long-Term Care News is a business newsmagazine for companies and individuals who are providing long-term care in all areas of the continuum of care, from assisted living to skilled nursing.
- Medicare is the federal system of health insurance available to persons aged 65 and over.
- Medicaid is the federal and state-funded welfare program to provide health and medical services to individuals in need.
- The United States Administration on Aging is the federal focal point and advocate agency for older persons and their concerns. Through information, referral and outreach efforts at the community level, the Administration seeks to educate older people and their caregivers about the benefits and services available to help them.
- Most states have a department of aging website — find your state’s using the search engine of your choice.